Monday, May 16, 2011

RW When You've Come Up Empty

Yesterday's message was about "What to do in a discouraging situation."  This could be job, career, relationship status, everything basically.    Here are my notes and thoughts...

1) Give Jesus complete access to my life.
A lot of people (me included) like to compartmentalize life.  It's okay to act one way in this area of life, but not on Sundays.  I don't really do that much anymore, but I used to in my younger partying days. I do need to honor God in my job more.  Rather than complain about this or that, I need to either do something constructive about it or accept it and work around it. I need to lead by example as much as possible.

2) Admit that my efforts aren't working.
There are times when I try to force things to go my way, but it isn't working.  I'd like to know what God wants me to do with my life, so I try to figure it out on my own.  Pastor Jon mentioned that sometimes God speaks through other people, and Pastor Jerry said he wanted to sitd own with me and go over my Class 301 Gifts materials.  For some reason, I've been dodging him, but that would probably help if I sat down with somebody who has conducted many of these sessions to help people find their strengths.  Seems like a no-brainer which indicates I have no brain or a hard head since I've been dodging him.

3) Obey whatever Jesus tells me to do.
No questions asked, just do it.  I'd like to think I'd do it, but I am so stubborn that I can't even hear what He's telling me to do.

4) Expect Jesus to turn things around.
Okay, gotta start reading the Case for Faith book again...

The message centered around the story where the disciples were fishing for 10 hours and caught nothing... but when Jesus gave them instructions, they caught a tonload in 10 minutes.  Bottom line: They caught more in 10 minutes with Jesus than they did for 10 hours without.

"According to your faith, it will be done for you."

I need to save time and lean on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment