Saturday, May 14, 2011

RW Making Wise Decisions

Okay, so the daily RW thing wasn't going well since some days seem like repeats in a lotta ways.  However, Wednesdays' small group DVD thing on "How to Make Wise Decisions" is excellent.  I will probably ask to borrow the DVD from my host after the series is over so that my kids can watch it.  Rather than "spoil" the whole thing here, I will write down the notes that sprang out at me.

Obviously we need to pray for guidance... and one of the things we should ask ourselves is, "What does God want?"  This is a very difficult thing for me because I sometimes try to justify what I want with what God wants... For instance, God wants me to help take care of my parents and keep my marriage happy, so we should probably get a new reliable car rather than put a dent in the CC debt .  The debt will be there for a while and we don't get many cash gifts like this class action lawsuit... and it's to help drive my parents around.  Hah! Sounds weak now that I write it out, but that's what we did...  Kinda late to ask what God wants now.

Another big point: We can 1) learn the hard way from experience and 2) learn more easily through other people's experiences.  It's good to get advice from people who have already done what you want to do or are thinking of doing.  Sometimes I just don't like asking for advice cuz I feel like I should know or nobody knows me like me... And as Rick Warren said, we'd rather appear wise than be wise.  But really, that's just ego talking.  I need to start asking for advice more.  Even at work, I need to delegate more.

Next... Prepare  for problems, but don't try to solve them all ahead of time.  Know that there will be problems.  Ecclesiastes 11:4 says, "If you wait for perfect conditions, you'll never get anything done."  This is so true, although I tend to be somewhat impulsive and wing the problems as they come.

Next... Face your fears.  We make excuses when we're afraid and fear paralyzes us into doing nothing. Not making a decision is making a decision..  The antidote to fear is faith... and when you are lacking faith, do it anyway.  These are just some of the notes that sprang forward to me. 

Now I need to figure out what I am afraid of.  I think God wants me to somehow work with youth.  I worked with them some when I was at CBC, but it's been a while.  I get some exposure through Tae Kwon Do, and I do enjoy being around kids... maybe it's cuz mine are all growed up :(  But I haven't committed to doing anything with the youth... so why is that?  I've thought about helping to drive kids to the Wednesday teen nights at New Life, but that's usually my Small Group Night... and now I'm thinking about how it would be cool to have an inter-church sports league in the Fairfield-Suisun area... where kids could invite their friends to play on the church team... kinda like how Chinese Christian Union has a basketball league during the summer for all the Chinese churches in SF. So let's see where this kind of idea goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment