Friday, January 14, 2011

No More Phone Booths

Still reflecting on that Wonder Years episode when Kevin wanted to tell his dad's boss to jump in a lake... but instead answered, "Whatever you say, Ken." 

I remember being known as a pretty spirited kid and very outspoken.  My language was rotten which only made it worse.  I would say whatever was on my mind and I would say it right away.  Wonder Years made me wonder when that ended.  I was happy, loud, rowdy and fun (usually)... but that changed one day in a phone booth in Chinatown in front of the majestic St Mary's Catholic Church on Grant Street.

I was about 20 when I went into the phone booth to call my friend, and this Italian-looking guy with grey Mafia hair and a brown suit pulled me out, closed the door and just stood there.  About five seconds lapsed and he didn't even pickup the phone to make a call.  So not-so-bright-me pounded on the glass and yelled, "ARE YOU GONNA USE THE DAMN PHONE NOW THAT YOU SHOVED ME OUT AND FORCED YOUR ASS IN?"

The "old guy" (in hindsight, he was probably only 50) moved pretty rapidly outa there, grabbed my lapels and got me off my heels (I actually wore those once upon a time. Maybe that's why I hate em now) and shoved me down the block about 5 feet.  Surprisingly I landed on my feet, while hundreds of my Chinese brethren scurried across the street and away from my activity.  No Catholic church-goers were coming to my rescue either...  Yet I still shouted, "YOU'RE SUCH A F***'IN A$$H***!!!"  He took a step towards me and asked, "You want more?"  Still noticing that no help was coming, I meekly muttered, "No" and went on my way.

That's when I learned that there were times I needed to keep my mouth shut for survival.  And it's a lesson that's served me well throughout life.  I can't just say whatever crosses my mind to my co-workers, friends or family members.  Of course there are days when I miss the crazy spirited girl I was, but I had to grow up eventually.  Now all my un-PC thoughts go to Jesus in prayer... since He already knows my horrible thoughts anyway.  I'm thankful He loves me anyway and helps me through those dark moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment