Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just like brushing teeth...

I remember my Uncle Gene told me that exercising is like brushing teeth to him - he has to do it every day or he doesn't feel right.  I'm kind of like that too cuz I like to go outside, get fresh air and sweat.  In one of his more drunken moments, I remember my brother whining, "I hate brushing my teeth." Okay, that was a bit of a sidebar (about my brother) since the main point of today's "thought" is that going to church has become like brushing my teeth.

Many of my friends and family members are "spiritual but not religious" on facebook. And if they're not on facebook, many of them basically subscribe to that "live and let live" philosophy.  I did too until fairly recently.  While I've attended church since I was a teen (with a few breaks here and there), I can't say that I actually missed it when I took a break.  Now I do.   Is it because of the music, pastor's message or possibility of seeing/meeting new people?  Those who know me it's certainly not the last since I'm really kind of a church recluse.  I bet most people don't know who I am, especially if I've never greeted them at the 8:30 service.  Oops, that was another sidebar.

Anyway, I think the real reason I miss church (when I don't go) is because I miss the chance to really feel God's presence.  While I know He's everywhere and I love chatting with Him on my bike rides, there's just something different when there are others worshiping Him at the same time.  Maybe it reminds me that I'm not alone in this walk, and that we all seek and love Jesus. The times I have missed church, I've tried to watch a message online... but it just doesn't resonate the same.  Even in this tech-y online world, I still need some human interaction even if I don't have an actual conversation with the person next to me.  I'd like it if all my friends and family went to church all the time, but like all things "Free Will," I can't force it. It's hard to explain to them what worshiping does for me, and I only want the same for them....

No comments:

Post a Comment