Friday, February 3, 2017

Worship Night and Hope

Our Worship Leader posted on Facebook this morning that there would be an impromptu Worship Night at church, so I decided to turn off the TV and check it out.  I'm so glad I was able to go as it reminded me again that God is central to my life, no matter whatever else is going on in the world.  As my pastor said, we were all there because God meant for us to be there (paraphrased)... and it was good for me to remember that He is in control, and to re-energize with my friends.

For most of of my youth and young adulthood, I went to the First Chinese Baptist Church of SF in Chinatown or the sister plant Sunset Ministry... where many people leaned left and had similar backgrounds to me and my family.  The church I go to now (New Life) is in Fairfield and is more diverse culturally and politically.  Being able to worship with them tonight reminded me that, while many of my brothers and sisters in Christ may have differing political views, we all want what's best for the world and simply have different ideas on how to achieve that.  

Remembering this helps me see that, while Trump and some of the Republican leaders may drive me crazy, there are still some good Republican leaders (John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Colin Powell, Federal Judge James Robart, etc.) who are still trying to do what's right and just.  I still believe Steve Bannon is an awful White Supremacist (see New York Times article linked below), and I don't like Trump any more than I do Bannon...  But I also know God can turn bad into good, so I continue to have faith and pray that God grants our country's and world's leaders with wisdom, compassion and integrity.


No comments:

Post a Comment