Sunday, February 19, 2017

Allegiance

Today, Geoff and I went to see Allegiance which is a movie play about the Japanese Internment Camps during WWII.  While we're not Japanese, we do have several friends and family members of Japanese heritage...  and we recognize how the US basically imprisoned all the Japanese on the West Coast simply because they were easily identified by the color of their skin.  My parents mentioned how they used to wear buttons that said, "I'm Chinese, not Japanese" so that they would not be put into camps.

While I see people snidely saying they won't put Muslims into camps, make no mistake that bigotry is still coming into play when you identify people as "threats" simply by the color of their skin or religion.  45 may try to re-write his Muslim Ban to be more "politically correct" (how ironic) and call it a "Travel Ban," but it is still a ban on Muslims who he thinks are a terrorist threat.  He said it plain and simple when he was campaigning, and his followers support this bigotry.  The intent is clear and I don't think anybody should be fooled.  

People will say, "I'd rather be safe if this will prevent just one act of terrorism to harm an American."  Others will say, "Isis will use 45's example of how Americans hate Muslims and recruit more terrorists."  I simply say that America needs to provide liberty and justice for all citizens, no matter their race or religion.  

We already have stringent vetting in place for refugees (see https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/29/us/refugee-vetting-process.html?_r=0)
And whether 45 and his folks want to admit it or not, Obama's administration did bring down Bin Laden and we have wonderful defense and security that are keeping a pulse on the terrorists.  In my opinion, more work needs to be put into place against hate crimes here in the US.  But I'm afraid that won't happen with Steve Breitbart/Bannon in charge.

If we want the nation to adhere to Christian principles, we should practice the basics - Love God and love our neighbors, especially those in need.  My Allegiance is not America First; it's God First.  


Matthew 25:35. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

No comments:

Post a Comment