Saturday, February 25, 2017

Why the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)?

Most people who know me know that I've been appalled and frustrated by the new administration in the White House; but more so with the high-profile Christians who hold them up as God's answer for America.  One of my friends thought that the purpose of this blog was to try and convert Conservatives to the Liberal agenda, but that's not the point.  The real purpose of this blog was started a while ago to show Non-Christians that there are Christians like me who are focused on loving God and loving our neighbors.  There are Christians who are not judgmental and "churchy."  The blog went dormant for a few years, and 45's campaign and presidency drove me to write again because I feel that I need to counteract some of those Christians who use 45 as an example of a good Christian man.

I participated in the Women's March with a sign that said, "#Stay Loud for #EQUALITY"  I considered that March as a "Kickoff" to my personal campaign to become more active.  I made a few calls for Clinton during the campaign but admittedly stopped because I got lazy and distracted.  And while I don't believe making more calls would've persuaded the rust belt to vote for her (since they were attracted by 45's promises), I do feel bad that I didn't do all that I could.  And while demonstrating dissatisfaction with 45 at the Women's March was energizing, I need to follow it up with action.

I debated about whether to help a segment of population like the senior citizens because I have a heart for the elderly.  I thought about working at food banks or Mission Solano or Habitat for Humanity.  But I know my communication and organizational skills are probably my strong point, so I wanted to also do something that would utilize these skills and have an impact on several areas.  I reflected back on my #Stay Loud for #EQUALITY sign and I believed that the ACLU would be the right fit.  They may not have always done what I believe is right 100% of the time; but that is the way with families and churches too.  By and large, the ACLU fights for the EQUAL rights of citizens and that is why I've decided to throw my hat in with them (financially and actively).  Although it's not a Christian organization (they believe in Religious Liberty), I believe it is a place where I can reflect God's love to a group of believers and non-believers.  Of course I will still stay active in my church, but I also want to extend the intent of this blog to my activism - exemplify that Christians can go out in the world to help fight for equal rights alongside people of various religious and cultural backgrounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment