Saturday, January 7, 2017

Why I'm Marching on 1/21

I am marching because I want to remind myself that I'm not alone; and I want others to know they are not either.  I know Trump supporters will think I'm just a sore loser, but that's not really it.  I was disappointed that W beat Gore by a sliver, but I didn't begrudge him a modicum of respect that goes with the Presidency.  He had served in various capacities in Texas and I figured he at least had the advice of his father to help guide him.

In contrast, there is now Donald Trump who ran on a platform of racism, misogyny, etc... and thinks he knows everything (certainly more than the military Generals and the Intelligence Agencies).  The more obnoxious he became, the more followers he got (especially neo-Nazis and KKK type).  People now think it's okay to be hateful because they no longer have to be "politically correct" anymore.  They can just say whatever racist, chauvinistic, etc thing they want because the President Elect of the United States does.  They can brag about how they're not rioting after a white kid got tortured by some black kids; and ignore the fact that white guys like Brock Turner (who raped a girl) and Tyler Giugni (one of 3 white kids who beat a homeless black man in my hometown) walk free.  They don't understand that Black Lives Matter wants justice for all regardless of race, gender, etc. (more of my thoughts on BLM are in a previous post) and conduct non-violent protests.

I'm marching to remind myself that 3 million more voters were against Trump than for him (counting Clinton's plus the third party candidates).  He was elected by about 25% of the people in the country, and I need to remember that it wasn't really the majority of the country that elected him.  It stinks that my vote doesn't really count as much as somebody's in the Rust Belt, but that's the rule (for now).  It stinks that 81% of white Evangelicals voted for him because it makes me fear that American Christians are becoming the Pharisees.  They are holding this guy up as a great Christian man, and saying that he won because God wanted it to be so (Franklin Graham).  I'm thinking Trump may be God's punishment for America.  But again, I don't pretend to KNOW any of this unlike Trump and many of his supporters.  Pride comes before the fall, and I'm afraid we will all be falling with him (he certainly has a lot of pride, misplaced as it is).

I'm also marching to remind myself that I still have a voice and can try to use it to show non-believers that not all Christians back Trump and his agenda.  Some of us respect and love people of all backgrounds. I'll continue to pray for all world leaders (which does include Trump), but I will not claim him as MY President.  He may become THE President, but he doesn't represent MY beliefs... at least not yet.  If anybody can work a miracle with Trump, it would be God... so I continue to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment