Sunday, January 22, 2017

The March and Living as an American Christian

As most of you know by now, I participated in the Women's March in Sacramento yesterday.  It was inspiring to march in solidarity with other folks across the nation and around the globe (Melbourne, London, New Zealand, Tel Aviv, Mexico City, Paris, Nairobi, Cape Town, Antarctica, Ghana, Malawi, Berlin, Barcelona, Brussels, Greece).  But now the work begins - political activism, social volunteerism, both?  It's not enough to march and be inspired - the millions of people who marched must now act.

 Obviously I marched with people who agreed with me on most issues, but I've heard it said that pro-life people were "banned" from the march.  From what I understand, they were told they would no longer be considered a "sponsor" of the march since it was in conflict with the Planned Parenthood crowd.  Obviously, you can't really ban anybody from an events this size.    There was an article about a pro-life group going with cameras to film anybody attacking them at the march. I haven't heard anything since about whether they were attacked or not, but I hear the marches were pretty peaceful for the most part.  This March for Life is next weekend, so at least folks can march in that if they didn't feel comfortable at the Women's March.

Some women took offense to it being called the Women's March because they're pro-life but still women.  It doesn't really matter to me what they call it because it did indeed include much more than women.  To be honest, it inspired many people who were marching for immigrants, LGBTQ, Black Lives Matter and other people that don't feel Trump is working on their behalf.  It was first organized by Women the day after Trump was elected, so the name "Women's March" just stuck.  Women were also the largest cross section and there were many who wore the pink pussyhats to demonstrate their displeasure with the new President.  I don't think he would've liked it any better if they called it "People Around the World Against Trump March."

My next steps are still to be determined and I will write about that as I continue that journey.  For now, I want to talk about the march and how I believe it impacts me as a Christian.  I don't have anything against people who are against abortion - I understand how they believe it is murder.  As you know, I believe making it illegal won't stop abortions from happening.  I want there to be fewer (no) abortions, but I think the best tact is to eliminate the reasons they have abortions.  Provide the support (emotional and financial) they need to get prenatal care and raise babies, counsel them so that they know single parenthood is a better option than abortion, go after the deadbeat dads for at least financial support, etc.  To me, this is the better way to prevent abortions.  

People say that gay marriage is against God's word.  That there is only one man and one woman... But throughout history, there have been marriages that don't fit this "mold" - Abraham and Isaac (among others in the Bible) had multiple wives and families.  The culture of the world changed a lot over time, and I believe that Christians have lived among non-believers and various cultural customs of their time.  In America, we're supposed to value diversity of race, religion, cultures, gender identity, etc.  If you're a Christian in America and don't feel certain practices are okay with you, then don't participate in those practices.  I am reading Exodus in the Bible right now, and God gives clear direction to the Jews who will provide a savior in Jesus and an example to the world.  THIS is what I believe I as a Christian am called to do.  Be an example of God's love and grace, not a judge.  I believe we as Christians are to hold each other accountable, and to stand up against injustices we see.

No comments:

Post a Comment