Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What's Wrong With Gun Control?

Let me start by saying I'm not trying to take any guns away from responsible owners.  To me, gun control is simply taking steps to keep them out of the hands of folks that shouldn't have them - toddlers, angsty teens, the mentally unstable, terrorists, etc.

I don't have any, but I do have friends and family that have them; and I don't begrudge them their arms... Whether it's for self-defense in a lousy area, hunting for a meal in the wilderness, or just target shooting at the range - these are all fine with me.  Yes, folks have the right to bear arms...  But I'm pretty sure the founding fathers didn't foresee the kind of automatic weaponry that's available now.

My brother-in-law and one of his best friends were both shot at the San Francisco Golden Dragon Massacre in 1977.  It was a gang shooting, but only the innocent were shot.  Our friend died, and my brother-in-law was in the hospital for months due to the gunshot wounds.  It was a horrific event that has admittedly colored my stance on gun control.  Yes, I realize that bad guys will usually get them if they really want them; but I see no reason to make it easy for them.  And if gun control can save even one life, isn't it worth it?  How do you put a price on a life?

It can be so easy to glorify guns - I'll admit that I enjoy mafia movies, some westerns, etc.  But going to an 18-year-old friend's funeral and visiting my brother-in-law in the hospital made an impression... and that event comes to mind anytime I hear about toddler shootings, school shootings, nightclub shootings, etc.  Just so many senseless deaths...

There is obviously another deeper issue with the amount of shootings that are happening.  Some people think having more "good guys" with guns is the answer; but the problem is really with our society and the number of people who feel shooting others is okay.  Only God can change these dark hearts, and I know one day He'll make everything right.  Until then, I really don't see a problem with gun control.  It may cost a little more time and/or money to have your guns and ammo, but I think it's worth it if you really want it.  After all, I just paid $40 to register my dog and she's not nearly as dangerous as a gun ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment