Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's like Penny...

Penny was my friends' 14-yr-old golden retriever who stayed with us when her owners went out of town.  The last time she stayed with us, her owners went to New York for a funeral.  Penny wasn't sick or anything, just old... And one morning she just didn't wake up...  She just went to sleep and that's how we found her the next day.  I felt bad and my co-worker said the same thing happened when he watched his parents' dog.  He and I agreed that dogs probably hold on for their owners, but feel free to "go" when they don't have the pressure of being there for the owners.  Penny stayed with us a lot and felt comfortable with us, but she probably knew we'd handle her death a little easier than her owners would.

I think people are like that too.  My mother-in-law held on for quite a bit during her last week or two.  She knew her time was coming, but I think she was worried about how we'd all be with her dying.  She got baptized on a Sunday and died the following Thursday (Thanksgiving).  We all knew it was coming and reassured her everything would be okay... Nobody would fight over property over belongings and we'd all take care of each other.

Now my friend's dad is very sick.  He has fought off death a few times in the past two months, but I get the sense that he'd like to let go.... but is afraid to devastate his wife and son.  I don't know if the parents are Christian, but my friend is probably more in the range of "believing in God but not necessarily a Christian or Jewish God."  He has asked me to pray for them and of course I always do... but I don't think I pray for what my friend wants.  My friend wants his dad to stay alive.... and I pray that his dad is relieved of pain and suffering, that they all seek God for help and direction.  I asked him if I could come to the hospital to lend them moral support, but he said now's not a good time (but he'd take a raincheck).  I know my pastor said that sometimes we just need to show up anyway, but I really don't want to step on toes either.  I'm not family and the man is in ICU.  For now, I'll wait to hear from my friend again, and continue to pray....

No comments:

Post a Comment