Saturday, February 5, 2011

Foul-Weather Friends

My girls have known this kid since middle school.  He lived down the block and we did a lot with him...  Carpool, band, bbq's, etc.  One of my kids even took him to a prom.  We thought of him like family and we thought we'd always be in touch.  But when he got into college and got a gf, he had issues with his mom and then dropped off the face of the earth.  Every now and then, we'd hear from the mom but nothing from the kid.  Fast-forward a few years...  Recently he contacted my girls and the other girls down the block.  Evidently he and the gf broke up and he was miserable... He apologized for being MIA, but mostly I think he just wanted someone to vent to.

I have friends like that too.  When things are going good with their lives or relationships, I don't hear anything.  It's literally "No news is good news."  I only hear from them when there are relationship issues or a family member is sick, etc. 

I used to wonder why people going through hardship sometimes have more faith in God than the people who have relatively easy lives.  Maybe it's because they go to Him more like my foul-weather friends only come to me when things are lousy.  Is that His only way of getting people's attention?  I try to talk to Him every day several times a day... but it's more of a quick chat now and then.  I don't really have that quiet time other folks have where they lock themselves up and just spend 1x1 time with Him.  Which is better?  I guess it doesn't matter since I can do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment