Saturday, February 26, 2011

Be Still...

...  and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10)

I'm a Project Manager, at work and at home.  I always like to do stuff, I like to multi-task, I like to stay on the move.  Our small group discussed hearing God's whisper, and I was a bit stunned because I couldn't remember the last time I may have heard His whisper (if at all).  Maybe His whisper was an instinct I had to go somewhere on a whim instead of what I'd been planning, and I just didn't recognize His voice.  On the way home from small group, my friend mentioned that we run around so much that we're never still or quiet enough to hear His voice.

I ask myself why I'm always running around instead of relaxing and being still.  If I were to be honest, I guess I'm a bit of a control freak.  It's not a label I want, but it's probably correct.  I don't like to ride with my daughter while she's driving even though she's fine behind the wheel... but I just feel like I have no control.  I like to run around and keep doing things or taking care of things so that I don't have to worry about it.  But really... Maybe God just wants me to be still and trust Him instead of doing it all myself.  People come to me with relationship issues or career issues, and I don't really know what to tell them... except to follow God's direction.  That probably just frustrates them because, like me, they're so busy trying to take care of their business that they can't hear Him.  In the end, I think that means we don't trust Him.  We think, "God helps those who help themselves."  This may be true to some extent, but there comes a point that we need to stop running around looking for answers... and we need to focus on Him and trust Him to show us the way.

I've never been one for "quiet time" at camp because I thought it was a big waste of time.  But now I think I need to give this QT thing a try lol...  Maybe I'll hear His voice, at the very least comforting me and letting me know everything will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment