Sunday, February 10, 2019

My Thoughts on Abortion (late term in particular)

I have a Facebook  friend who posted this article on the New York law, and here’s my reply:


I know a woman who gave birth to a stillborn, knowing the baby wouldn’t survive... I  know a woman who gave birth to a child that died shortly after being born... and I know a woman who declined cancer treatment for fear of harming the baby, and the mother died (the baby was born healthy so the mom's efforts were not in vain). In all situations, I admired the women's choices, but wouldn't have blamed them a bit if they chose otherwise. In short, I honor their choice. I don't think any expecting mother WANTS to abort a child later in pregnancy. In all likelihood, they wanted their children but either their health/life was at risk or the baby wouldn't survive(and would possibly suffer). I respect the women's ability to make choices on behalf of themselves and the babies, no matter what they decide. 

Making abortions illegal won't stop them from happening, it will just make them more unsafe. If anti abortionists really want to decrease abortions (as I and many Democrats do) we should avail more free/low cost contraception and education... And we should make assistance available to young parents (and not shame them for collecting welfare, food stamps, etc). Being pro life should extend from cradle to the grave, not just having a baby born.

No comments:

Post a Comment