Sunday, February 3, 2019

Lessons from 21-day Fast (No political posts on social media)

I just finished another 21-day fast with my church - no posting, “liking” or replying to political posts on social media.  That included this blog which is why I’ve been MIA.  Instead of spending time posting, I spent more time in prayer and Bible study.  I’m reading through the Bible with “ReadScripture” app which is part of theBibleProject.com. 

This fast reinforced my opinion that debating on social media is, for the most part, ineffective.  People really aren’t open to listening to each other; they’re actually trying to figure out rebuttals etc.  Republicans think Democrats are a bunch of baby-killers and Democrats think Republicans are a bunch of gun-loving racists.  Obviously this is an over exaggeration, but I think you know what I mean.  

During this fast, one FB friend posted a Kavanaugh article and tagged me and another friend in a kind of “I told you so, he’s a great man” message.  The article basically said one of his accusers admitted to lying.  My other friend responded and they had a pretty heated FB discussion; and I admit to being glad that I was on this fast.  It’s given me time to decide whether to respond or not and, while I don’t want the original poster to think I’m ignoring her, I think it would be counter productive to respond on an old post that was already heated enough.  Besides, as I mentioned in the past, most of my political opinions will be in these blogs or Twitter.  There is already a lengthy blog on my thoughts of the Kavanaugh case:  https://nokiddingimachristian.blogspot.com/2018/10/facebook-classic-experiment-and.html.

During this fast, I was also able to go to Hawaii for the first time in 20 years with a group of friends I’ve known since Junior High.  It was a great time and I was glad not to post/respond to a bunch of social media posts.  Being with people is the best gift God’s given us, and I believe one of my purposes is just to be with other folks and grow in faith.  One of my friends is an atheists, and I’m hoping he can see that there are Christians who are not Trump-supporting, judgmental and hypocritical... and that Christians can have fun.

Unfortunately, during this fast, my mom’s younger sister was hit by a car while walking in San Francisco Monday evening and she died from her injuries the next morning.  It’s been a tough week for my mom’s side of the family, especially my cousin (her son), and I was able to email and talk to him at length.  My mom has 8 siblings and our family gatherings are pretty big, so it’s been a while since I talked to my cousin one-on-one.  And yet it’s as if all the years faded away and there really was no discomfort talking with him.  He’s doing pretty well, all things considered (very supportive wife and kids), and I continue to pray for him and all my aunts/uncles.

Things at work have also been busy and I’ve been able to study up on some material that I’ll be teaching on in a week.  I also did our taxes yesterday (side note: this “tax break” we got is a wash - we’re paying just as much if not more than ever.  Also, my huge corporation is laying off people every quarter despite their tax break). This fast has helped me to prioritize all the things that need to be done (especially spending time with God), and not procrastinate.  I’m thankful for the things I’ve learned and will be more selective in how I post and respond on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment