Sunday, June 12, 2011

Go Jack!

Today we had baptisms at church.  Most of the time, we have young kids (elementary school age) and young adults.  Maybe the teens are at the stage where they've already been baptized, or they are too "cool" to consider putting God at the center of their lives.  This is opposite of my old church I grew up with, but that's a story for another day.  Today Jack got baptized.  I greet him every week, and he usually has his Bible and a big smile.  He's about 60 years old and my daughter would like him as a "cute lil old man."  Anyway, he got baptized and I was so happy for him.  I think it's great when somebody acknowledges Jesus in their life during the later years.  It's different than the "deathbed baptisms" because Jack seems really healthy and "chipper."  I'm just not used to seeing folks his age get dunked (literally).

The message today before baptism centered around how believers are to be the ambassadors of Jesus. Seeing Jack get baptized also reminded me of my parents and how I don't think they are clear on their beliefs.  I think they believe in a higher power, just not necessarily God/Jesus.  They both were baptized in my old church a bajillion years ago, and they both led Sunday Schools and/or youth groups... but they definitely are not practicing Christians at this point.  How can I be an ambassador to them without being pushy and turning them away?  When my mother-in-law died, my nephew mentioned that he was happy she was baptized a week before she died... but how he was a bit ashamed that he had never tried to talk to her about it before then.  I have so many family members and friends that I know I should be an ambassador to... I just need to pray for His instructions on how to do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment