Thursday, December 30, 2010

Why No Kidding?

I thought I'd take a moment and explain why I titled my blog what I did. A few years ago, I was driving my vanpool, and one of the riders didn't know I was a Christian until I mentioned church in passing. I had already known this guy for 5-6 years, so I wasn't sure what his non-awareness meant. Did it mean that, since I was normal and could have fun and am fairly non-judgemental, he assumed I didn't go to church? Or did it mean that I behaved so poorly that he figured there was no way I could be a Christian without being smited down?

Either way, my response was, "No kidding, I'm a Christian."

I, like many others, sometimes struggle with my tendency to "misbehave." Now I realize that we are saved by grace, but that doesn't give me free rein to do whatever I please. While I am by no means perfect, and enjoy my R rated TV shows like Sopranos etc, I do think I have made some changes in my life. Looking back, I can see that it's been quite a while since I got drunk or smoked a doob. Some folks may think that's no big deal, but for me that really is quite a change-up... And I really didn't even TRY to stop... I guess Jesus did that for me... Made it easy for me to not even want to. While I think marijuana should be legalized, I probably still won't smoke it since I really don't have any big urge to. So I guess it's these little ironies about me that made my Christianity a surprise to my friend. I hope I can show non-church-goers that being Christian doesn't stop people like me from being fun or accepting of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment