Friday, May 26, 2017

Moderation


Ever since I was a kid, I went all in.  If I liked lifting weights, I bought a bench and weights and went whole hog on it.  If I liked a type of chip, I'd eat the bag until it's gone.  If I liked to party, I'd party til I drop.  My mom always tried to tell me that moderation is the key, but I never really learned the lesson til, well, now.  I'm now 55 and realize I can't do Crossfit because it would really tear up my already bum knee and probably give me a heart attack.  I can't keep eating junk because I'm pre-diabetic and pre-hypertensive.  You get the picture.  

This also goes for politics.  I can't watch the cable news channels non-stop anymore because it's just bad for me.  CNN, Fox, MSNBC - I'd watch them all, telling myself that it helps give me different points of view.  But really, I don't need the commentary that comes with those Cable News channels because I need to see things through a Christian lens (not a Republican or Democratic lens).  I'll now just watch the CBS half-hour daily news and maybe Face the Nation once a week.

I can understand why Conservatives are upset that some people take advantage of the welfare system; I don't like it either.  I can understand why Liberals are upset that many people would lose healthcare under the new proposed plan; I don't like it either.  But here's the thing - everybody is going extremely right or extremely left now.  There doesn't seem to be a "voice of reason" anymore.  When everybody is arguing and blocking each other, nothing gets done or improved.  Instead of complaining about Obamacare for 8 years, people should've been working to improve it.  Both sides agreed that it needed improving, yet it seems like everybody has an "all or nothing" stance... and not just on healthcare.  Everything seems to be a bone of contention.

I remember watching a movie, I think it was "Farewell to Manzanar."  A Japanese guy was being interviewed and was asked, "Who do you want to win?  The US or Japan?"  He replied, "That's like asking a child if he wants his father or mother to win a fight.  I just want them to stop fighting."  This is how I feel now.

I am really glad that Robert Mueller was selected to investigate Russia's interference with the election.  People from both sides of the aisle like him and consider him fair and honest.  Finally there is something that everybody agrees with!  Democrats can be happy that a real non-partisan investigation is being performed; Republicans can be happy that their Administration will be exonerated if they're innocent.

I will continue to pray that everything will be brought to light.  Some people say we should pray for our leaders, so I do pray for them.  But I don't pray that 45 is successful by 45's definition of success.  I pray that he gets what he deserves.  I think he deserves punishment and shame if he colluded with the Russians and/or obstructed the investigations; but I may be wrong so I leave that to God.  More importantly, I pray for those that may be hurt by this Administration whether they voted for 45 or not... and that people can be more civil to each other again.

No comments:

Post a Comment